After a year I finally got insulated doors built this past week. Today I installed them. Now the shop can be heated and I can work in comfort and insulate and sheath the interior.
With the exception of the doors, the ceiling and wall sheathing are now complete. We finished placing the battens in place today. They still need to be fully nailed to the boards beneath. We used 1″ lumber and 1×2 battens. It is in the back of the quonset which is still used for farm implements and will receive rough treatment. Better boards than metal or sheathing or gyprock.
I cut 5″ flashing from a sheet of 8′ tin. We bent the tin and attached it to the stud wall footing. We cut one inch rough sawn siding to length and nailed it into place.
We finished the wall. We cut two inch lumber, squared it and anchored to the wall, and built the first part of the framework for the landing from these. We hauled the stairs to where it would be placed and set up the second part of the landing, secured it to the first, and then worked the stairway into place.
The first of several needed and planned for in our weaving shop, this work bench is made from a laminated maple table top that was on its way to the dump…a renovation happening at an electrical shop. I first began sanding the top with a hand-held belt sander this afternoon. It was so discoloured, scratched, and gouged that it took an hour to just get it to a decent state.
I trimmed all sides with a circular saw to make the edges sharp, then cut and planed 2″x6″ dimensional rough lumber to make the start of a stand…
With more sanding belts I will finish the top, apply an oil finish and build a couple of shelves for storage both under and above.
Wiring a couple of fluorescent fixtures, installing them, picking up and cleaning after installing wiring the other day, and placing the loom where it will go took up most of the morning. A centre support beam needed to be moved to allow for adequate space while loading the sectional warping beam.
In preparation for wiring the weaving shop the items for the weaving itself which had been placed on the shop cement needed to be moved. In order to get it out of the shop a roof had to be put on the shop. With that done and the seams sealed today we packed all of it (wool, cotton, and 500+ empty canning jars) – three containers at a time – on our Kubota’s loader and hoisted them up above. Material for stairs is already planed and cut, but there is no place in which to construct it. So today was the day. And here it is, the first of our materials stored safely, cleanly, securely, and protected.
Our sixteen years here has been like an octopus, starting projects here and there, working on them as we had opportunity and need. It may not seem like much, but starting to move this material into this area marks the completion of another stage, started years ago. It feels really good.