I cut 5″ flashing from a sheet of 8′ tin. We bent the tin and attached it to the stud wall footing. We cut one inch rough sawn siding to length and nailed it into place.
We finished the wall. We cut two inch lumber, squared it and anchored to the wall, and built the first part of the framework for the landing from these. We hauled the stairs to where it would be placed and set up the second part of the landing, secured it to the first, and then worked the stairway into place.
In preparation for wiring the weaving shop the items for the weaving itself which had been placed on the shop cement needed to be moved. In order to get it out of the shop a roof had to be put on the shop. With that done and the seams sealed today we packed all of it (wool, cotton, and 500+ empty canning jars) – three containers at a time – on our Kubota’s loader and hoisted them up above. Material for stairs is already planed and cut, but there is no place in which to construct it. So today was the day. And here it is, the first of our materials stored safely, cleanly, securely, and protected.
Our sixteen years here has been like an octopus, starting projects here and there, working on them as we had opportunity and need. It may not seem like much, but starting to move this material into this area marks the completion of another stage, started years ago. It feels really good.
Following the refurbishing of the harnesses the final count on heddles is:
40 – Like New
118 – Good (slight texture but smooth)
51 – Useable (textured but smooth)
173 – Bad (pitted)
382 – Total
Rust occurs because of a combination of factors: exposure to humidity/moisture, exposure to oxygen, elements in the air. These heddles are not made any more. In order to protect the remainder that I have I have sealed them in PVC pipes that are filled with new motor oil.
They are labeled appropriately on the outside…