Before the interior of the weaving shop which houses the Draper loom can be started an attached 15′ x 20′ storage area needs to be completed. Two walls are now finished and a third insulated today. The ceiling needs to be put up after the metal is put on the long outside wall (right) and the centre wall is done. After this then storage units need to be built, items put in, and then the work on the area of the Draper and work tables can begin. Work on this goes along as the weather is rainy outside…usually at least a few hours early every morning.
Board and batten construction involves placing lumber – usually one inch thick – vertically one next to another and then placing a smaller size board over the crack between the two. Lumber will shrink over time so what was once tight will invariably open up. Insulating the shop that houses our Draper Model D requires that the battens be drawn tight to the board over their entire length. A nail gun does this very well due to the speed at which it drives a nail, instantly snugging the two together. With farming done insulation of our workshop, which was built around the Draper, is next on the agenda.
With the exception of the doors, the ceiling and wall sheathing are now complete. We finished placing the battens in place today. They still need to be fully nailed to the boards beneath. We used 1″ lumber and 1×2 battens. It is in the back of the quonset which is still used for farm implements and will receive rough treatment. Better boards than metal or sheathing or gyprock.
…cleaning the floor/ceiling of our weaving workshop, then applying roofing underlayment, and finally laying down rolled roofing (in white, which is all they had, but was great because it gives a bit more light up above)…I now need to seal the cracks with some heated asphalt sealant…tomorrow?…and then pour on the sand so that these sealed cracks will not stick to the weaving items and other things we will store up there…
I had hoped to build an unattached stairway to be mounted to the wall once it was sheathed. But I am without enough 2 x 6’s so that will have to wait until I can get some cut. It takes a long time to plane one side adequately, then to trim one end, flip and cut it to length, slide it upstairs and then to fasten it down, staggering the butt joints, since these lengths are only 16′ and the span is 20′. Ten feet of deck was put up between today and yesterday…more today as we got a rhythm going. We are about one quarter done. This will provide a substantial-sized storage area.