Spooling Rack II

DSC00005

Following up on refurbishing the spooling rack  (https://drapermodeld.wordpress.com/2016/04/13/spooling-rack/) I bought, cut, and drilled more TNB – Superstrut (galvanized but not gold)…

DSC00002

…and bolted together the top of the frame.  This worked to disallow lateral play in the top of the rack, but it can still twist.  I will do something to remedy the twist once this is installed in the shop at a later time…

DSC00005

Beater Refurbishing

This loom was converted years ago to weave rag rugs.  Restored to original weaving capability there are many parts of it that make me question whether it is its original configuration or not?  The beater holds a guide bar.  The bar’s mounting holes may have originally had some sort of a funneled-wedge for a washer.  Adapted to accommodate now mis-matched mounting bolts holding the guide I marked the holes in preparation for routing them to a uniform depth so that carriage bolts and washers can be installed…

DSC00006

DSC00007

DSC00008

This side is set at an angle, so metal bars were C-clamped along either side of the beater to provide a level area for the router’s base.  I routed free-hand utilizing a depth stop and then sanded them and refinished the beater again using boiled linseed oil…

DSC00009

DSC00010

Finished with the carriage bolt, the washer and the nut installed…

DSC00013

DSC00012

Mounted and refinished…

DSC00016

Tension Box Comb

DSC00015

Tension boxes can be fitted out with combs on their ends.  Combs help to keep individual threads in order as the warp is loaded onto the sectional beam.  This one came with the tension box.  It is actually a reed, since combs are open at the top.  But it will serve the same purpose and while a comb facilitates easy loading, it is important to have a top on it in case something makes the yarns jump and therefore become crossed.  A reed will serve this purpose just fine although it takes time to initially thread it.

This reed was covered in surface rust.  It was not pitted.  I tried using very fine emory cloth and steel wool, but it did not clean this reed very well…

DSC00003

A 4″ bronze wheel brush on my electric drill did a great job in cleaning it up…

DSC00004

This reed is a 10 dent reed that measures 8″ x 11 3/4″.  It has a total of 117 dents.  It is now smooth and ready for use…

DSC00005

Tension Box

 

DSC00042

A home-built tension box came with this loom.  Half inch oak plywood sides are joined by 3/4″ (i.d.) galvanized pipe.  The pipe is secured by driving in the nuts from 1/2″ bolts into the ends of the pipe and then secured to the plywood from the outside with 1/2″ bolts and washers (1/2″ nuts have a diametre slightly larger than 3/4″).  There are eight pipes on the top level and two on the lower level and mounts for reeds at either end.  It is well built.  Today I disassembled it and cleaned it, steel wooling the pipe, sanding all wood, and routing a finished edge onto the plywood.  Then I oiled it with linseed oil.  I will give some thought to what sort of legs I want on it.  I am very pleased with this result…

DSC00015

DSC00016

 

Spooling Rack

This loom has a sectional warping beam.  A spooling rack and tension box – both custom-built – came as accessories.  Unloading, cleaning, assembling, and modifying the spooling rack took all day yesterday.  The frame is built from gold coloured galvanized channel steel material manufactured by TNB – Superstrut (#A-1200-HS).

Assembled at point of purchase…

DSC00043

…cleaned and partially reassembled here…

DSC00005

Heddle Preservation

DSC00001 With so few heddles available for this loom it is important to preserve the ones that I have.  There are, of course, many possibilities if I were to somehow run out which would include fabricating new ones, but the best possibility would be to cannibalize together parts from the old ones and braise them into new workable ones.  Nevertheless, I had some PVC storage-pipes left over from another project, but they were a bit short (white pipe).  All it took was a piece of splice to lengthen them an inch in order to make them long enough for the heddles.  Now each group – like new, good, useable, pitted – each has their own oil bath preservation.  Cost?  $2.25 for the splice and $10 for the oil (5w30)…each…a small price to pay…

DSC00019

Swift (Reconditioning)

I spent most of the day yesterday refurbishing this swift…

DSC00003

Both its wood and metal needed a thorough cleaning…

DSC00002

Disassembled it was curious to find that the centre spool is spring loaded…

DSC00005

Caked grease was easy to remove from the metal parts; I used 600 grit emory cloth to remove the worst rust followed with steel wool.  Wood was cleaned with a solvent.  I was surprised to find this much greasy dirt on the parts in contact with the fibre, but now think it to be normal if it was ever used over decades with home-cleaned wool that may have retained more of its lanolin…

I lightly used a wire brush on an angle grinder to clean the base.  I re-greased the internal parts and linseed oiled the wood.  How functional and beautiful!

DSC00016

 

 

…it’s really a nice machine…